Expungement of Juvenile Records for Connecticut Teens

When a person has a criminal record, they will at some point become eligible to have that record erased. While it is difficult to have a record erased, it is possible. It can happen through the pardon or the expungement process. Having a juvenile record expunged is generally easier than having an adult criminal record pardoned. The juvenile expungement process in Connecticut differs slightly based on the individual’s circumstances. I will discuss a few common situations here that your child can refer to if they want to have their juvenile record expunged.

Accused but Dismissed

Sometimes, juveniles are accused of an offense, but their cases are dismissed. If this happens for adults, their criminal record will still show the accusation of the offense, even if they were never convicted. However, for juveniles the process is different. Dismissed cases will immediately be erased from record in Connecticut. This will occur automatically, meaning that your child won’t have to file a petition for erasure.

It is important to note that if your child was tried in adult court, but the charges were dropped or the case was dismissed, note of this case will appear on your child’s record for the next thirteen months. After that, it will automatically be erased.

Accused and Found Delinquent in Juvenile Court

If a juvenile is found guilty of an offense, they become something called an adjudicated delinquent. Once a juvenile completes all punishments associated with their case, they will be eligible for filing a petition of erasure, which will erase their juvenile history. To be eligible to petition for erasure, your child must:

  • Be over the age of eighteen.
  • Have no current cases pending against them.
  • Allow two years to pass since being released from supervision for non-serious offenses.
  • Allow four years to pass since being released from supervision for serious offenses.
  • Establish good cause for the erasure of the record.
  • Have no misdemeanor or felony convictions.

If your child can prove the above, they can file their petition for erasure and have a chance of having their juvenile record erased.

Accused and Convicted in Adult Court

As I’ve mentioned before, some juvenile cases can be transferred to adult court. If this happened in your child’s case, and they were convicted, they need to go through the adult process of being pardoned. The process of obtaining a pardon can be difficult and time consuming. There are a lot of regulations, and it is up to the Board of Pardons to grant or deny a request. It is a good idea to work with a pardon attorney if your child needs to get a pardon.

If your child is seeking a petition for erasure, you can contact my office for assistance. I can review your child’s situation and make sure that they meet the requirements for a petition of erasure. You don’t want to start the process only to find that your child isn’t eligible. This will be a waste of time and money for your family. Contact my office for more information. I can also put you in touch with a pardon lawyer if your child needs a pardon.