Fake IDs in the State of Connecticut

We’ve all been underage, impatiently waiting to turn 21 to have a drink, legally. Some people choose to take a shortcut and consume alcohol before turning 21. Having a fake ID in Connecticut can get you into bars when you are underage but could result in you getting in serious trouble. Buying alcohol underage is against the law in Connecticut and have repercussions if you go against the state.

Degrees of Forgery

Oftentimes we associate fake IDs with teens buying alcohol, but fake IDs can be used for other things as well. Forgery can occur on a real license that was someone else’s or that contains false information such as your birthday or signature.

  • First degree forgery is when a forged item is intended to defraud another item. This Class C felony results in 10 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.
  • Second degree forgery is the possession of a forged document or if you created one. This Class D felony results in a five year sentence with a $5,000 fine.
  • Third degree forgery is when you are in possession of any material that is forged. This Class A misdemeanor has the potential to put the suspect in jail for a year and fine them $2,000. These cases depend on the seriousness of the scenario that you were caught.

Fake IDs and Alcohol

The sentence for being caught buying alcohol with a fake ID is up to 18 months and fines can reach $1,500. Being caught in possession of a fake ID can also be punishable with a jail sentence up to 30 days and a fine of $200-$500. This applies for using identification that is someone else’s but your driver’s license can be suspended for 150 days as well.

Creating or purchasing a fake ID for alcohol purposes is a serious crime in Connecticut. It can result in a felony or misdemeanor charge depending on the situation and is easily avoidable by choosing to follow the laws set in place. If you find yourself facing a forgery charge or any fake ID charge, remember to hire a juvenile defense lawyer to help with your case.

Juvenile defense lawyers work with minors to reduce fines and settle on community service or probation times. If you are interested in hiring a lawyer, contact my office and we can help you find the right attorney to fit your case.